Opening of Saumarez Ponds BridgePrint Page
A memorial commemorates the opening of Saumarez Ponds Bridge.
|Address:||Dumaresq Road, Saumarez Ponds, 2350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.484591|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 29th March, 2003|
Plaque 1 :
Saumarez Ponds derived its name from the many
natural ponds close to Dumaresq Creek. Saumarez was the
squatting run established and named by Henry Dumaresq`s
men in 1835. The ponds were important for the aboriginal
people, bird life, passing drovers and farmers.
Situated close to Armidale, small scale farming
flourished in the district from the 1860`s and a thriving
community was created by people linked by family and
farming. Four churches were established but today only
St. Nicholas survives.
A provisional school was opened in 1870 whilst the
nearby recreation ground provided a popular site for
cricket, tennis, football and school picnics. Today there is
little evidence of the intensive farming but many hobby
farms continue the early tradition.
Plaque donated by the Dumaresq Local Area Group
to commemorate the Official Opening of the Saumarez Ponds Bridge
Plaque 2 :
SAUMAREZ PONDS BRIDGE
The construction of this bridge was a joint project
of Armidale Dumaresq Council and Uralla Shire
Council and was funded under the
Roads to Recovery Programme.
Saturday 29 March, 2003
the Hon. Tony Windsor, MP
Member for New England.
Clr Brian Chetwynd
Armidale Dumaresq Council
Clr Brian Elchorn
Uralla Shire Council