www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Unnamed Babies Memorial Garden Print Page Print this page

21-September-2017
21-September-2017

Photographs supplied by Neil Follett

A memorial garden was established to acknowledge unnamed babies who are buried in the cemetery. 

The garden contains a memorial which recognises and acknowledges babies who died while at the Alexandra Babies' Home and the Ballarat Female Refuge. The mass grave contains more than 300 unnamed babies. 

The garden also contains a plaque which was erected by the trustees in 1988 to provide a memorial for infant and stillborn children buried in mass graves. 

The Ballarat Cemetery in the late 1800's to mid 1900's had several mass unmarked grave sites of babies and children, the Female Refuge, Ballarat District Orphan Asylum, Ballarat Orphanage, Alexandra Babies Home, St Joseph's Home and Nazareth House of Forgotten Children.  In the Wesleyan "A" Section of the cemetery is the resting place of 300 babies in the Orphan area of the cemetery. 

The mass grave of babies dates back to the 1800s while the Alexandra Babies Home ones are from the early 1900s . Many of the babies, which were placed in state care, suffered diseases and died.
 

Location

Address:Doveton Street North & Norman Street, Wesleyan "A" Section, New Ballarat Cemetery, Ballarat North, 3350
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.536592
Long: 143.862495
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th June, 2012
Front Inscription

Plaque:
This memorial is dedicated in loving memory
to all those babies and children who died while at
the Alexandra Babies Home and Ballarat Female Refuge
who were buried in this area in unmarked graves.

Here, We remember them.
May their souls rest in peace. 

Plaque: 
This memorial garden
was lovingly developed and restored 
by Ballaarat General Cemeteries Trust
with the generous assistance of 
CVGT,
National Green Jobs Corp Programme
and the Ballarat West Rotary Club

Plaque:

THIS PLAQUE WAS ERECTED BY THE
TRUSTEES OF BALLAARAT GENERAL
CEMETERIES TO PROVIDE A MEMORIAL
FOR THE MANY INFANT & STILLBORN
CHILDREN BURIED IN UNMARKED
     GRAVES IN THIS AREA
                1988
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design