Geeleengla SchoolPrint Page
Commemorates former Geelengla School students, their families and teachers of the school. The Geelengla School was built in 1924 to cater for the children of the soldier settlers that settled in the district after World War One.
The school was destroyed by grass fires in 1944.
|Address:||Camperdown-Lismore Road & Camperdown-Larra Road, Lismore, 3324|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.041281|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th December, 2011|
2000 metres east of this marker, lies the site of the Geelengla State School No. 4140
This area known as Geelengla, was once part of Larra Station and was sub-divided for farming blocks to settle returned servicemen from the 1914 - 18 World War.
The school was built in 1924 to cater for the children of these settlers.
It was constructed of weatherboard and had one room and open benches for all
The disastrous grass fires of 1944 raged through the district and destroyed the school
This plaque is to commemorate the students, their families and the teachers of the Geelengla School.
Unveiled by Cr. Geoff Smith, Corangamite Shire 4th of December 2011