www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Kadina Memorial AvenuePrint Page Print this page

The memorial avenue was planted by students of the Kadina Memorial High School to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the school which was opened in 1924.

In April 1919 the Mayor of Kadina, Mr Paul Roach, and a committee of concerned citizens, held an appeal to raise money for a War Memorial to local men and women who served in World War One. At that time secondary education in the district was available at the Wallaroo Mines District High School. Even then however, the future of the Mines was in doubt and as the facilities and space for secondary education were limited at Wallaroo Mines, sections of both Kadina and Wallaroo communities began planning for a new high school in their towns.

Mr Roach and his committee pledged to the Government of South Australia the sum of one thousand pounds towards the building of a High School at Kadina, and the corporation and rate-payers agreed to grant a site of 8 acres of parklands near the already established Kadina Primary School. The Government accepted both offers, and plans were drawn up for the new Kadina High School to be known as the Kadina Memorial High School, as it was to be a memorial to ex-service men and women of World War One The school opened in 1924. 

Location

Address:Adelaide Road & Thomas Plains Road, Kadina, 5554
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.968414
Long: 137.72895
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Trees
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State
Approx. Event Start Date:1924
Approx. Event End Date:1984
Link:http://www.rslvirtualwarmemorial.or…

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1984
Front Inscription

MEMORIAL AVENUE 
    Planted By 
   STUDENTS
         Of  
KADINA MEMORIAL 
HIGH SCHOOL, 
        1984.
To Mark The School's 60th Anniversary
Lest We Forget

Source: RVWM, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design