Kildonan Children`s HomePrint Page
Commemorates the children who spent part of their childhood at the Kildonan Childrens' Home from 1937 to 1961 and the Allambie Reception Centre from 1961 to 1990.
The Kildonan children's home in Elgar Road, Burwood was purchased in 1929 but did not receive any children until December 1937. Formerly, Kildonan had operated a children's home in North Melbourne. Kildonan accommodated boys and girls, aged between 2 and 15. By the late 1950s, Kildonan was moving away from the provision of congregate, institutional care towards a family group home program. In 1961 Kildonan was purchased by the Victorian government which opened the Allambie Reception Centre on the site.
|Address:||70 Elgar Road, Deakin University Campus, Kildonan Children`s Home site, Burwood, 3125|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.845593|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In memory of the many children who spent part of their childhood here when this was the site of the Kildonan Childrens' Home (1937 - 1961) and the Allambie Reception Centre (1961 - 1990)