Victorian Institute of Surveyors CentenaryPrint Page Print this page

Plaque in footpath commemorates the centenary of the formation of the Victorian Institute of Surveyors which commenced on the 7th April 1874.

During the year 1874, several informal discussions took place in reference to the desirability of establishing an Association of Surveyors, the objects of which, inter alia, would be to secure uniformity of practice amongst surveyors; to provide a competent and sufficient authority to pronounce the opinions of the whole profession upon the conduct of any of its members, and upon any matters touching the general interests or well-being of the profession; to provide means for the discussion of general questions, with a view to mutual improvement; and to promote the cultivation of friendly intercourse amongst surveyors. At a meeting held at Hockin's Hotel, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, on April 7th, 1874, resolutions were adopted fully justifying the action taken by the promoters of the movement, a code of rules and by-laws was adopted ad interim, and officers for the year were appointed. 

Note: The name of the Victorian Institute of Surveyors was changed in 1952 to The Institution of Surveyors, Australia, Melbourne Division.


Address:Swanston & Collins Street, City Square, Melbourne, 3000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.815683
Long: 144.966966
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Actual Event STart Date:07-April-1874
Actual Event End Date:07-April-1974


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1974
Source: RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design