www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Victorian GuidingPrint Page Print this page

Victorian Guiding : 24-August-2011
Victorian Guiding : 24-August-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A tree, replanted in 2001, commemorates 90 years of guiding in Victoria. The tree was originally planted in 1948 to commemorate Miss N Pedrina's 19 years of service as Hamilton Guide Captain. 

A notice appeared in the Hawthorn and Camberwell Citizen inviting those who wished to become Girl Guides to meet at 3062 Burwood Road Hawthorn on 6 February, 1911. Reassurances about conduct were added. A large umbrella, striped red and white, swung out from the upper storey of this building, high above the street. This splash of colour was a treasured landmark and one of the last old business signs to survive in the area. Mr and Mrs Aylen and their daughter Rosa, aged 13, hosted the evening at their home behind the shop where 10 girls came to meet Miss Louie Kerr and they decided, on 6 February 1911 to form 1st Hawthorn Baden-Powell Girl Guides. It appears that it was the first Company in Australia to have been registered with the full official title chosen when the Association was founded in May 1910 and by which it was incorporated in 1915, to protect the title and register the badges.

Location

Address:Thompson & French Streets, Botanic Gardens, Hamilton, 3300
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.746775
Long: 142.024389
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Tree
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event STart Date:06-February-1911
Actual Event End Date:06-February-2001

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2001
Front Inscription

Presented to Miss N. Pedrina  Hamilton Guide Captain  19 years service August 1948

Replanted 2001 to celebrate 90 years of Victorian guiding

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design