Drakesbrook School Memorial FootprintPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Harry Frochter

A footprint marks the site of the original Drakesbrook school house.

On 26 July 2005 the Drakesbrook School House, first opened in 1898 as a one-room school and located in Centennial Park, was burnt down. It had been closed since the 1980s but maintained as a historic site. After police investigations, the remaining structure was removed, but a year later the Council approved a memorial to the school to be built on the site in consultation with the Waroona Historical Society.


Address:South Western Highway, Drakesbrook Centennial Park, Waroona , 6215
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.8525
Long: 115.924722
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2006
Front Inscription

Drakesbrook School Memorial Footprint

This footprint marks the site of the original Drakesbrook School building.

Opened on 26th January 1898 & closed in 1988, the restored building burnt to the ground on the 26th July 2005.

The memorial reflects on the games children played.

Lead artist : Gary aitken
Community artist : Jeanne-Marie Hawkins

Project partners :
Shire of Waroona  
ALCOA - Fremantle Arts
Waroona Historical Society

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design