Kanaka MemorialPrint Page
The Kanaka Memorial is on the site of the church for South Sea Islanders established by John Thompson. The memorial consists of several totems which signify the masts of sailing ships in which many islanders were forcibly bought to Queensland to work in the sugar and cotton plantations.
John Thompson saw the need and opportunity to evangelize among these displaced persons and on January 1, 1893 opened a mission near Childers, Queensland under the auspices of the Australian Foreign Missionary Committee.
Land was purchased, chapels and schools erected, and the converts were taught evangelism and stewardship for the Lord’s work. In the first ten years of the mission over 160 islanders were baptized. Many of these individuals returned to their homes and built chapels and schools on the same order as those they had seen in Australia and began to teach their countrymen.
|Address:||Bruce Highway, Approximately 2 kilometres north of Childers. Turn off at signpost., Childers, 4660|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.2375|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.