Silver Centenary Bi-planePrint Page
A bi-plane commemorates the aviators of Western Australia.
`Silver Centenary` is a hand-built bi-plane which had its maiden flight in Beverley in July 1930. The Aeronautical Museum was built in 1967 to honour the local inventor Selby Ford who, with his cousin Tom Shackles, built a biplane which they called the `Silver Centenary`. Although neither man was a flier, the plane was. The two men had literally designed the plane in chalk on their garage floor. They spent two years building it. It first flew in 1930.
Later it was taken to Maylands Airfield where Major de Havilland and the aviatrix Amy Johnson flew it. Unfortunately it was never licensed because there were no blueprints of its design. The `Silver Centenary` was the first privately made aeroplane in the State.
|Address:||Vincent Street, Aeronautical Museum, Beverley, 6304|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.109251|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||01-July-1930|
|Actual Event End Date:||01-July-1930|