Salvation Army Prison Gate BrigadePrint Page
Plaque commemorates the Prisoners Aid Centre established on this site by the Salvation Army to care for discharged prisoners.
James Barker led the way to establish the first Salvation Army social institution anywhere in the world on a permanent basis. In 1883, Barker leased a small house in Lygon Street, Carlton (Vic) to provide accommodation for prisoners discharged from Melbourne's gaols. This led to the formation of the Prison-Gate Brigade, the members of which met discharged prisoners upon their release and offered them a home and the prospect of a job.
The Prison-Gate Brigade quickly outgrew its original premises and on December 8, 1883, moved to larger rented premises in Argyle Place, South Carlton.
|Address:||Argyle Place South , Carlton, 3053|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.803446|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||08-December-1883|
The world-wide social service of the Salvation Army began on this site on 8th December 1883 when Major James Barker, pioneer officer, opened a home to receive discharged prisoners.