Heidelberg School of ArtistsPrint Page
A monument commemorates the first encounter of Arthur Streeton and Heidelberg school artists Tom Roberts and Fred McCubbin.
Tom Roberts was captured by impressionist painting while in Paris, and he returned to Australia in 1885 to inspire Frederick McCubbin and later Louis Abraham, Arthur Streeton and Charles Conder.
Near the spot where the monument stands, Roberts and McCubbin discovered Streeton painting his first canvas. They became friends and shared a rented cottage at Mentone.
The idea of the monument was first proposed in 1965 by a local art lover but the Mordialloc Council was not at that time interested. It consists of a granite block on which a plaque is mounted, set into a concrete base which contains three smaller boulders.
It was unveiled by Mrs. Mangan (McCubbin`s daughter) and attended by members of the three later generations of the Streeton family.
|Address:||Beach Road , Ricketts Point ,Beach Park Reserve, Beaumaris, 3193|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.993133|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1886|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1886|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1976|
At this site in the summer of 1886 the artists, Tom Roberts and Frederick McCubbin first met Arthur Streeton. Together with Charles Conder these men were the founders of the Heidelberg School.
Erected in the golden jubilee year of the city of Mordialloc, 1976