Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade CentenaryPrint Page
Monument celebrates the centenary of the formation of the first volunteer bush fire brigade in NSW at Berrigan .
In 1896 Mr John Thompson, the baker at Berrigan, called a meeting at which the formation of a bush fire brigade was decided on. The volunteers were mainly business people and shop assistants in the town. The area to be worked was a ten mile radius from the town. The fires were mainly fought with beaters which were wheat sacks folded in four strapped with leather riveted to the sacks. When not in use the beaters were soaked in brine which saved them from burning when used.
By 1901 the formation of a fully equipped brigade was guaranteed and about 30 members were enrolled . Most of the members were employees of the town and were fully supported by their employers to leave the workplace once news that a fire had broken out.
|Address:||7 Cobram Street, Berrigan Fire Brigade, Berrigan, 2712|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.657985|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th April, 2001|
1901 - 2001
This Memorial Celebrates The Formation
In Berrigan 100 years Ago, Of The First
Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade.
This First Association Of Citizens, Joined
Together For The Good Of The Community,
Has Sparked A Proud National Tradition
Of Volunteer Rural Fire Brigades
Unveiled 7th April 2001
The Hon. Bob Debus MP Minister for Emergency Services
Phil Koperberg AM AFSM BEM Commissioner NSW Rural Fire Brigade
Cr John Bruce Mayor Berrigan Shire Council