www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Country Women`s AssociationPrint Page Print this page

07-June-2019
07-June-2019

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The plaque commemorates the contribution of the Country Women`s Association in Walcha to the community by the erection of the building. 

The effort made by the Walcha and district branches of the Country Women's Association for the erection and establishing of Rest Rooms in Walcha were crowned with success when the rooms were officially opened by Mrs. M. Sawyer, State President, on February 20th in the presence of a large and representative gathering. The building is an imposing structure of seven rooms, with a hall and porch, finished off with pleasing effect.
Gloucester (NSW), 5 March 1929. 

Location

Address:32 Fitzroy Street, Walcha Telecottage, Walcha, 2354
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.984961
Long: 151.592081
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2015
Front Inscription

The Walcha Branch of the Country Women`s Association was formed on 23rd October 1925.  An objective of CWA was to improve the life of women and children in rural areas and relieve the isolation and lack of health facilities in the country.

In keeping with this objective, the CWA resolved to build restrooms for their members and the community in Walcha.  They set about raising funds and on 20th October 1929, this building was opened as the Walcha CWA Restrooms.

The building was operated by the Walcha Branch of CWA for 84 years, until 2013.  It was used as restrooms, a meeting place, accomodation and baby health centre for members and community.

The Walcha Telecottage acknowledge the contribution the CWA made to the community with the erection of this building so many years ago.

2015

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design