www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of United Grand Lodge of New South WalesPrint Page Print this page

31-May-2019
31-May-2019

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

The Memorial Stone commemorates the centenary of the United Grand Lodge of New South Wales which was formed in 1888. 

The first Grand Lodge was opened in Sydney in 1845, Brother Robert Barr being the first Grand Master, and Brother Andrew Alexander, the Deputy Grand Master Brother Alexander was the Grand Master the following year. The institution grew and prospered; No.2 Lodge was opened in 1845, No.3, No.4, and No.5 (in Kiama on the New South Wales South Coast) in 1846, No.6 and No.8 in 1847, No.7 in 1850.

The Grand Lodge of Ireland and the Grand Lodge of Scotland were also warranting lodges in New South Wales, and creating their own provincial Grand Lodges.

On 16 August 1888, after considerable consultation, the Masters and Wardens of the one hundred and eighty-three lodges assembled, the articles of union were again adopted, and the " United Grand Lodge of New South Wales " declared to be duly constituted and established. The first Grand Master was Lord Carrington, Governor of New South Wales.

Location

Address:Castlereagh & Goulburn Streets, Sydney Masonic Centre, Sydney, 2000
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.878099
Long: 151.20838
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Actual Event STart Date:16-August-1888
Actual Event End Date:16-August-1988

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 13th August, 1988
Front Inscription
                 Centenary
United Grand Lodge Of New South Wales
               1888 1988 

         This Stone Was Set 
                    By

MOST WORSHIPFUL BROTHER
PROFESSOR R.A.WOODMAN LL.M
          GRAND MASTER
        To Commemorate 
      THE CENTENARY OF
THE UNITED GRAND LODGE 
                 OF
   NEW SOUTH WALES 
           1888-1988
Within The Bicentennial Year Of Australia
                              13th August 1988. 
                 

 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design