www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Establishment of the Mechanics` InstitutePrint Page Print this page

26-March-2019
26-March-2019

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque commemorates the establishment of the Mechanics` Institute in 1880.

 

.

Location

Address:227 Wyndham Street, Mechanics Institute, Shepparton, 3630
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.378205
Long: 145.400177
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1880

Dedication

Front Inscription

This tablet records the establishment of the Mechanics` Institute in 1880 on Crown Land reserved for that purpose in 1877, and is a tribute to the devotion of successive committees which managed its affairs until it was converted to a Municipal Free Library service opened by the Hon. Murray Porter M.L.A. on October 2nd 1958.

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design