www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Horse Water Trough MemorialPrint Page Print this page

25-April-2018
25-April-2018

Photographs supplied by Heather Stevens

A monument commemorates Mosman Fire Bridge of the 19th and early 20th centuries and the horses that they used.

Location

Address:Myahgah Road, Civic Square, Mosman, 2088
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.825404
Long: 151.241407
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 4th April, 2007
Left Side Inscription

Plaque :

Mosman Fire Station

In 1901 the first Mosman Fire Station under command of Captain Charles Field was commissioned in Myahgah Road at this site.  Prior to this, the Municipality of Mosman was serviced by a manpowered hose reel located in a private residence in Avenue Road, near Military Road.  This service was operated by volunteer firefighters.

In 1915, in addition to the volunteer staff, permanent staff were appointed.  In 1918 the second fire station, designed by Spain, Cosh and Dods, was opened in Military Road.  In the following year a four cylinder Garford fire appliance replaced the horse-drawn fire engine.  The descendants of Captain Field served at Mosman Fire Station until 1985.

Plaque :

Mosman Fire Brigade
Horse Water Trough Memorial

This memorial commemorates the Mosman Fire Brigade of the 19th and early 20th centuries, and the horses that pulled water carts used to extinguish fires in Mosman and the surrounding area.  The horses drank water from this hand cut, sandstone trough.

Unveiled on 4 April 2007 by Cr Denise Wilton, Mayor

Horse trough kindly donated to Mosman Council by the MacCormick Family

Design and fabrication by Warren Langley

Artwork by Ann Cape

 

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design