www.monumentaustralia.org.au

130th Anniversary of Launceston Volunteer ArtilleryPrint Page Print this page

14-November-2015
14-November-2015

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The plaque details the history of the Russian artillery piece captured at Sebastopol during the Crimean War.  The history was documented by the Artillery Historical Trust of Tasmania to commemorate the 130th anniversary of Launceston Volunteer Artillery.

The Launceston Volunteer Rifle Corps was founded in 1860, although it was disbanded due to insufficient government and public support in 1868. Ten years later, the Tasmanian Volunteer Rifle regiment was formed, with two companies in Launceston and four in Hobart, and the Launceston Regiment can boast an unbroken lineage from that time.

While modern guns are ringing Moscow and Leningrad with barrages of steel and high explosive, Launceston has an interesting link with a Russian campaign of 87 years ago, when the Russians were not our allies. It is a Russian gun acquired by the city after Britain's victory in the Crimea in 1856. It is believed that the unwieldy weapon is one of a considerable number distributed throughout the British Empire as tangible symbols of victory. It stands in lonely dignity in City Park. It has been difficult to obtain reliable information about the gun and further information on the subject would be welcomed. There is a similar one in Franklin Square, Hobart. Although there is an inscription on the gun nothing can be learned from it because it is in Russian.
Examiner (Launceston, Tas.), 27 November 1941.

 

Location

Address:Tamar Street, City Park, Launceston, 7250
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -41.432502
Long: 147.144233
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Actual Event STart Date:
Approx. Event Start Date:1860
Actual Event End Date:
Approx. Event End Date:1990

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date: 1990
Front Inscription

Plaque :

This 36 Pounder Gun Was Captured From
The Russians At Sebastopol During The
Crimear War 1854 - 56 And Was Presented To
The Town Of Launceston By The Home
Government, As A Result Of The
Charitable Efforts Of The People Of
Launceston In Raising Funds For The
Patriotic Fund. The Gun Was Cast In The
Emperor Alexander Factory In The Year
1840.  Bore 7¼ inches.

Documented By The Artillery Historical
Trust Of Tasmania To Commemorate The 
130th Anniversary Of Launceston
Volunteer Artillery, 1860 - 1990.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design