North Gregory Hotel 50 Years CommemorationPrint Page
The original North Gregory Hotel was built in 1879 and named ‘Gregory North’, which was the name of the district of Winton at the time. The hotel burned down in 1899, was rebuilt and then burned down again in 1916. In 1946, after the hotel burnt down for the third time, the town was left with an unsightly gap in the main street. The council of the era realised the need for the hotel to be rebuilt and so by the placement of an extra levy on rates and by a special act of parliament, the North Gregory Hotel was raised from the ashes.
Construction of the new hotel began in 1952 and the present North Gregory Hotel was opened in April 1955. Its design – of which many original features still exist – was based on first class lines to “last forever and to provide modern conveniences and features” that at the time were only found in a select few hotels throughout Queensland. Full silver service was provided, including bellhops with a fully waited dining room as well as room service. The North Gregory was one of the largest employers in the town.
Daphne Mayo, renowned Australian artist, designed sandblasted glass doors depicting three different scenes for the new hotel, Qantas, Waltzing Matilda and rural themes. These doors are today displayed in the current dining room named after Daphne Mayo.
|Address:||Elderslie Street, North Gregory Hotel, Winton, 4825|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -22.390143|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1955|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2005|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th March, 2005|
NORTH GREGORY HOTEL
COMMEMORATION OF 50 YEARS
1955 - 2005
This plaque was unveiled by
Mrs Poss Evert
Poss`s husband, Vince was involved in the construction of this
building, and their wedding reception in January 1956
was the second wedding reception to be held in the new
Poss`s whole life has been within sight of the
North Gregory Hotel.
We salute you, Poss.
David and Prue Strang
26 March, 2005