Whorouly Library HallPrint Page
A Mechanics Institute of Victoria plaque commeorates the contribution of the Whorouly residents to the Whorouly Library Hall.
The purpose of the MIV Historical Plaques Program is to inform the public of the history of Mechanics' Institutes in Victoria and also give a snippet of history about the individual Institute. The idea of putting a plaque on Mechanics' Institute Halls was advanced by Committee member Alan Tonkin in 1999. Committee member Paul Permezel brought it to reality in 2003 and since then plaques have been installed to mark special occasions within Institutes all across the State. These plaques have been used to commemorate a significant date in the history of an Institute or town; be it an anniversary, or a significant renovation or restoration project.
|Address:||Church Street, Whorouly, 3352|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.463119|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Mechanics Institute of Victoria Inc. (MIV)
Whorouly Library Hall
Erected in 1907
The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.
The Whorouly Library Hall was built by the men of the district from local bricks. A library was established that eventually held 1,600 volumes. In 1921 a plaque was ereected to the Whorouly & District War Heroes 1914 - 1918. It honours the memory of those who served, and the five local men who died, on active service in the First World War. The library closed in the early 1950s but the hall was always used, and continues to be used, by locals and community groups for a range of social and cultural events
This plaque, No 38 in the MIV series, was placed here in 2014 to celebrate the contribution of successive generations to the Whorouly Library Hall.