www.monumentaustralia.org.au

150th Anniversary of the Botanical GardensPrint Page Print this page

17-November-2013
17-November-2013

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

The floral clock commemorates the 150th Anniversary of founding of the Botanical Gardens in 1818.

Originally developed from a first settlers farm and then a convict maintained Colonial Gardens, the crucial resource in the fledgling colony; a Botanical Gardens were born. The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens were established in 1818 by Lieut-Governor William Sorell. He dubbed this place the ‘Government Domain and Garden.’

It was a successor to Sorell, the tough and driven Govenor George Arthur that pushed for the 14-hectare site to be developed along systematic lines, thus creating one of Australia’s first scientific institutions and formalising the Gardens’ significant role in acclimatising plants from around the world.

 

Location

Address:Lower Domain Road, Queens Domain, Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, Hobart, 7000
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.867884
Long: 147.331224
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Clock
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial
Approx. Event Start Date:1818

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 19th January, 1969
Front Inscription

THIS FLORAL CLOCK
Built By Cadets At The Science Centre
Of The Education Department And Installed In
December 1968, To Mark The
150th ANNIVERSARY 
Of The Founding Of These Gardens In 1818
Was Officially Set In Motion By The Chief Secretary
Hon. B. K. Miller, MLC., J.P
       On
19th January, 1969.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design