www.monumentaustralia.org.au

TrafalgarPrint Page Print this page

The monument commemorates the racehorse, Trafalgar. 

Trafalgar was foaled in 1905 and was by Wallace out of the mare Grand Canary (by Splendor). He was owned by Messrs P & W Mitchell of Bringenbong, near Corryong. From 59 starts he had 24 wins, 11 seconds and 6 thirds. His best known win was the Sydney Cup which he won in 1910.  He was sold by the Mitchell's in 1916 and was retired after having won 24 events worth ₤22,111 in prize money.

After his retirement, Trafalgar spent his remaining days at Towong Hill Station on the Upper Murray. He was destroyed in 1929 after breaking a leg.

Sydney. Jan. 31. Trafalgar, one of the most popular horses that has raced on the Australian turf, will be destroyed. He broke a leg on Wednesday at Towong Hill, on the Upper Murray, where he was pensioned off for several years after a most outstanding career on the turf, but only a fairly useful time at the stud. The news of the old favourite's mishap was received today by Perpetual Trustees Company, Ltd., trustees of the estate of the late Walter E. Mitchell, who raced the horse with his brother. Trafalgar was retired from racing after having won 24 events worth £22,111 in prize money. In 1911 and 1912 he had the honour of heading the weighty in the Melbourne Cup, having finished second in 1911 with 9.2 to the imported horse, Comedy King. A year earlier he had won the Sydney Cup. He met all the best horses of his day in the principal handicaps and weight for age events. 
Kalgoorlie Miner (WA), 1 February 1929.

Location

Address:Towong Hill Road, Towong Hill Station, Towong, 3707
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.159927
Long: 148.00491
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Culture
Sub-Theme:Animals
Source: RUMV, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design