Sandy Print Page
A garden commemorates Sandy who was the only one of Australia’s 169,000 war horses to return home from World War One. Four white cypress trees will be planted, which were on the defence site during the Great War, a post and rail fence built and a heritage storyboard installed.
The Friends of Sandy received $17,622 from the Anzac Centenary Local Grants Program to pay tribute to the trusty steed and the contribution of the Australian Light Horse.
Sandy had been assigned to the commander of the Australian 1st division, the first ashore at Gallipoli. It was the dying wish of General Sir William Bridges, who was shot by a sniper, that his horse be returned to Melbourne at war’s end. Sandy lived out the rest of his days at the Army Remount Depot in Maribyrnong until he was put down in 1923.
|Address:||Randell Street, Maribyrnong, 3032|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.767751|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||May-2015|