No. 1 Fighter WingPrint Page
Plaque commemorates those who served in the No.1 Fighter Wing Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F) in the Darwin area during World War Two. The plaque is situated on a Remembrance Wall at the museum.
No.1 Fighter Wing was reformed on 7 October 1942 as a fighter unit comprising two Australian and one British flying squadrons equipped with Supermarine Spitfire aircraft, and a mobile fighter sector headquarters. The wing provided air defence to Darwin and several other key Allied bases in northern Australia until the end of the war, and was again disbanded in October 1945.
During its first months at Darwin, No. 1 Wing intercepted several of the air raids conducted against Northern Australia by the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force and Imperial Japanese Navy.
|Address:||557 Stuart Highway, Australian Aviation Heritage Museum , Winnellie, 0820|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.425509|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1942|
|Actual Event End Date:||1945|
TO COMMEMORATE THOSE WHO SERVED IN
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
No 1 FIGHTER WING
DARWIN AREA WORLD WAR 11
"WE WILL REMEMBER THEM "