Sunderland CrewsPrint Page
Flag and plaque are dedicated to the memory of World War Two Sunderland crews.
No. 10 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force was the only Australian squadron to serve continuously for the duration of the Second World War in Europe. Formed at Point Cook on 1 July 1939, 10 Squadron was initially equipped with a motley collection of seaplanes with the intention that these would shortly be replaced with six new Shorts Sunderland flying boats. At the end of July 1939 a small group of squadron personnel proceeded to the United Kingdom for training on the new aircraft which, it was planned, they would then fly back to Australia. While these personnel were in Britain the Second World War was declared and on 7 October 1939 the Australian Government ordered the squadron to remain there to assist the British war effort.
|Address:||Argyle & Lower Fort Streets, The Garrison Church, Millers Point, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.858434|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
The above Flag was flown by
10 Squadron RAAF Sunderland RB-W
when in overseas ports.
The aircraft destroyed one U-boat and
In 1942 flying boat RB-W transported
Lord Gort VC with the George Cross
awarded by King George VI
to the besieged island of Malta.
The Flag and the Plaque are dedicated to the
memory of World War 2 Sunderland Crews