H.M.A.S. Sydney IIPrint Page
A monument commemorates those who served on HMAS Sydney II including three crew members from Rockhampton.
HMAS Sydney II, named after the Australian city of Sydney, was one of three modified Leander-class light cruisers operated by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). The cruiser was purchased by the Australian government and renamed prior to her 1934 launch.
On 19 November 1941, Sydney was involved in a mutually destructive engagement with the German auxiliary cruiser Kormoran, and was lost with all 645 aboard. The wrecks of both ships were lost until 2008.
|Address:||100 Spencer Street , Cenotaph Memorial Section, Botanic Gardens , Rockhampton, 4700|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.400149|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||19-November-1941|
|Actual Event End Date:||19-November-1941|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2013|
This memorial is dedicated to HMAS Sydney II
Sunk by the German raider HSK Kormoran off the West Australia coast on 19 November, 1941
The loss of Sydney`s crew of 645 was the greatest naval disaster suffered in WW2
This memorial particularly honours and remembers three crew members from the Rockhampton region
Leading Stoker Thomas Nevin Glackin Mount Morgan
Able Seaman Ernest Dudley Frisch Rockhampton
Able Seaman Ernest John Edwards Mount Morgan
Lest We Forget