Kormoran MonumentPrint Page
A monument constructed by German prisoners of war at Camp 13 in Murchisoin commemorates the German sailors from the merchant cruiser HSK "Kormoran" which sunk the H.M.A.S. Sydney in November 1941. The Kormoran was also sunk in this engagement, but 317 of its crew of 397 were rescued. The rescued survivors arrived at Camp 13 on 30th December 1941.
The cross on the top of the monument is not the original cross. The monument's original cross was destroyed after the end of World War Two, and it was re-constructed by former German prisoners of the camp.
Note : This monument is on private land and is not accessible to members of the public. Monument Australia thanks John Gribben of the Greater Shepparton City Council for organising access to obtain the monument photographs.
|Address:||Camp Road, Prisoner of War Camp 13, Murchison, 3610|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.584681|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
Unferen gefallenen kameraden