Methodist Church Peace MemorialPrint Page
A stained glass window commemorates the end of World War Two. The window was unveiled in 1947 on the 70th anniversary of the church.
At the top section of the window is a burning torch encompassed by a laurel wreath and a white sash, all set within a double triquetra.
A perfect day, large congregations, inspired preaching and music — all these marked the 70th anniversary services at Paddington on Sunday, 2nd March. The morning and evening services, conducted by Revs. D. A. Trathen, and R. J. Williams respectively, were occasions of much blessing. The highlight, of course, was the special service in the afternoon for the unveiling and dedication of the new memorial windows. A big crowd was expected, and they came, nearly 400 of them, filling the Church. What a sight it was to see the old Church packed again! And what an inspiration to hear the singing of the Hymns, old and new: "Immortal Invisible;" "Jerusalem the Golden;" "O Light from age to age the same;" and "Take my life and let it be" sung to the tune "Leura" composed by the late George Smith Senr., who was for many years organist of the Church. Dr. P. E. Walton-Smith officiated at the organ, and his renditions, together with vocal solos by Miss Mary Neal and Mr. George McNeilly, greatly contributed to the service. A printed order of service was used, and after a statement of the memorial gifts by the Rev. R. N. Gledhill, reading of the Scripture and prayer by Rev. A. E. Walker, Chairman of Second Sydney District, the first window was unveiled. Mr. James Green had the honour of doing this on behalf of the Ladies Church Aid. Then in turn came the unveiling of the windows in memory of Fannie Edith Dobell ; and Florence May Walton-Smith, by Mrs. A. T. Parsons, (the gift of Dr. P. E. Walton- Smith) ; John Sutherland and Ann Rebecca Small by Mr. George Small (the gift of their family;) a thankoffering Peace by Mr. W. L. Hind (the gift of the trustees;) Thomas and Catherine Cowlishaw by Mr. R. Cowlishaw (the gift of their family;) and the final window, the gift of the Friendly League, by Mrs. V. Pendlebury. Miss A. Hodge then asked the President to receive two brass vases in memory of Heather Florence Fraser.
Methodist (Sydney), 22 March 1947.
|Address:||395 Oxford Street, Paddington Uniting Church, Paddington, 2021|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.887106|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 2nd March, 1947|
A THANK-OFFERING FOR PEACE 1945