Holy Trinity Anglican Church War MemorialPrint Page
A window commemorates those who lost their lives in World War Two and those who returned. The window shows the Crucifixion of Christ together with a nurse and servicemen of the Australian Defence Forces. The installation took six months to complete. Funds were raised from the army and public subscription.
The stained glass window was constructed for the sum of £600. Its dimensions are 14 feet (420 centimetres) by 10 feet(300 centimetres). Its designer was John Radecki, an 81 year old Polish born craftsman. When the window was created he was the oldest practising craftsman in that trade.
In the late 1990’s the parishioners raised $15 000 for the restoration of the window. A local glazier, Greville Wilton completed the task.
The second Glen Innes memorial for the 1939-45 war was unveiled at the Holy Trinity Church by Bishop J. S. Moyes, of Armidale. It is a coloured window, measuring 14 feet by 10 feet in the eastern side of the church. The central picture is the crucifixion, and at the foot of the Cross are six figures representing all the services. A burning aeroplane and falling masonary (sic) are symbolic of the ravages of war. The window was made by Mr. John Ashwin, of Sydney, and installed by Mr. J. Westwell. More than half of its cost, £660, has already been raised by public donation.
Glen Innes Examiner (NSW), 14 December 1946.
|Address:||West Avenue, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Glen Innes, 2370|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.735886|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Monument Designer:||John Radecki (designer)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||John Ashwin (Sydney)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 8th December, 1946|