St Therese Catholic ChurchPrint Page
St Therese Catholic Church was dedicated as a war memorial in memory of those who served in World War Two.
The foundation stone for the ‘new’ St Therese Church was laid by Bishop James Carroll on 20 May 1956. The estimated cost was £43,000. The completed War Memorial Church was blessed and opened by Cardinal Gilroy on 15 September 1957 to the accompaniment of a fly-past of service jet aircraft in tribute to Fr Cornelius (Con ) Sexton and his fellow Changi prisoners.
The first pastor , Fr Cornelius (Con) Sexton, had been incarcerated in Changi Prison camp from February 1942 until September 1945.
|Address:||Napier Street & Dover Road, Dover Heights , 2030|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.874183|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th September, 1957|