No 34 Squadron Print Page
Plaque commemorates No 34 Squadron's service to the nation since its formation in Darwin in February 1942.
Formed as a transport squadron in February 1942, No 34 Squadron was composed of an assortment of aircraft including Dragons, Ansons and Tiger Moths. Operating from remote Northern Territory airfields. After Japan's surrender, No 34 Squadron evacuated Australian POWs from Singapore and commenced courier flights to Japan in support of the Allied occupation of that country.
No 34 Squadron was reformed in March 1948 as a VIP transport and reconnaissance Unit, principally support of the various activities undertaken at the Woomera rocket range in South Australia.
A new phase began for No 34 Squadron in July 1959 when it was tasked with providing VIP transport for Australia's leading citizens and visiting dignitaries.
|Address:||Federal Highway, RAAF Memorial Grove, Majura, 2609|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.211571|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2012|
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE
Formed 23rd February 1942
Parap Airfield NT Batchelor Airfield NT Hughes Airfield NT Manbulloo Airfield NT Parafield Airfield SA Pacific New Guinea Morotai Borneo Japan
RAAF Richmond NSW Mallala Airfield SA
EO ET REDEO
Post WW11 the unit was established as a dedicated VIP Squadron, at RAAF Base Fairbairn, in July 1959.
The unit has since transported members of the Royal Family, Foreign Dignitaries, Heads of State, Governors` General of Australia and politicians for the Australian Government, providing exceptional air transportation services of the highest standard, with safety and efficiency.