St Paul`s Cathedral Bell TowerPrint Page
The Bell Tower with its peal of eight bells was constructed in 1947 as a thanksgiving for victory in World War Two. The bells are capable of being rung by hand but are more usually mechanically operated. The design of the Tower was by Rockhampton architect Eddie Hegvold. The bells were cast by Gillet & Johnson of Croydon in England and cost 1750 pounds.
Rotarian Reverend Canon Dale was guest speaker at the weekly Rotary luncheon on the 3rd April 1946 when he gave an address relating to the history of bells, with special reference to the peal which it is proposed to erect at St Pauls as a memorial to the coming of victory and peace.
Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton), 4th April 1946.
|Address:||89 William Street, St Paul`s Cathedral, Rockhampton, 4700|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.382275|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Eddie Hegvold (architect-tower)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Gillet & Johnson (Croydon-England -bells)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1947|