Memorial GatesPrint Page
The gates to the War Memorial Reserve were erected to commemorate those who served in World War Two. The gates were unveiled on Anzac Day 1953 by the Warden, Councillor C.R.Best. The ground enclosing the war memorial was dedicated as a reserve to those who died or were killed in both World Wars.
Work was begun yesterday morning on a bluestone fence which will be part of the Deloraine War Memorial. The fence will be to the approach of the Deloraine road bridge and will border the Flrst World War Memorial. The ground enclosed will be dedicated to the fallen of both wars. Two wrought-iron gates will give access to the ground and a bronze plaque will record the names of those who fell in the Second World War. It is hoped that the memorial will be finished by Anzac Day.
The Mercury (Hobart), 25th March 1953.
|Address:||Emu Bay Road , Deloraine, 7304|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.524597|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1953|
These gates were erected and this reserve set aside by the citizens of the Deloraine municipality in honour of all who served in World War II 1939 - 1945 and as a lasting memorial to those who made the supreme sacrifice.
Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.
In memory of
[ Names ]
Lest We Forget