A34-47 Memorial CairnPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

A memorial commemorates 5 people who lost their lives when a Royal Australian Air Force light transport aircraft DH84 DeHavilland Dragon serial A34-47 went missing during a flight from Mascot Aerodrome Sydney to Forest Hill, New South Wales in April 1943. 

Monument characteristics :

A solid sandstone block set on a sandstone plinth is located in the grounds of the church. A brass plate with inscription and the images of three men and the plane they were flying is attached to the top of the block.


Address:Menangle Road, St John`s Anglican Church, Camden, 2570
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.056733
Long: 150.697106
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:17-April-1943
Actual Event End Date:17-April-1943


Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2000
Front Inscription

              In Memory of
The Crew and Passengers of
RAAF De Havilland Dragon A34-47 from
No 34 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force.

Sgt Douglas Brian Doyle (412236) RAAF - Pilot
Sgt Francis Joseph Doyle (420615) RAAF - Co-Pilot
F/O Geoffrey Hugh Lester (0409154) RAAF - Passenger/Pilot
1st Lt Horace Albert Teague (014229) US Marine Corps - Passenger
2nd Lt Cecil Joseph Umstead (013899) US Marine Corps - Passenger

Sgt B.Doyle  Sgt.F. Doyle  F/O/ G/Lester

The aircraft disappeared on 17th April 1943 and was last seen
near Werombi Post Office, heading south to Wagga Wagga.
This plaque unveiled by the relatives, friends, searchers, RSL
    and the people of Camden in 2000. 

Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design