World War Two MemorialPrint Page
The cenotaph is a tall pillar constructed of Harcourt Granite and inscribed on its surface are the names of the defence forces, together with the theatres of war they served in.
On top the cenotaph is a basalt sculpture of six servicemen carrying a bier with a corpse, draped by the Australian flag. The sculpture symbolises "the debt of the living to the dead".
The Eternal Flame is placed nearby, representing eternal life, and the flame is kept alight at all times and in all weather conditions.
|Address:||Birdwood Avenue, Shrine Reserve, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.829837|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1953|
World War II Memorial
The World War II Memorial comprises the Eternal Flame, the Cenotaph, the Flagpoles and the Forecourt. It represents a memorial to those men and women who served in the 1939 - 1945 war.
The names of the theatres of war where Australians served are shown on the walls of the Cenotaph. The statuary surmounting the column represents six men - two sailors, two soldiers and two airmen - carrying a bier on which lies the figure of a dead comrade draped with the national flag.
The Eternal Flame has burned continuously in its great bronze bowl since 1954 when it was lit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at the opening of the forecourt memorial