450 SquadronPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Sandi Nipperess

A monument commemorates 450 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F) that served in World War Two.

No. 450 Squadron was a unit of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) during World War Two. It was the second RAAF Article XV squadron formed for service with the British military, under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. During its existence, it included personnel from several different British Commonwealth countries and/or air forces. The squadron's motto, "Harass", and its nickname, "The Desert Harassers", were derived from a comment by the Nazi propaganda broadcaster "Lord Haw Haw", who described the unit as "Australian mercenaries whose harassing tactics were easily beaten off by the Luftwaffe."

The squadron officially came into existence at RAAF Williamtown, near Newcastle, NSW, on 16 February 1941.


Address:Townsend Avenue, RAAF Williamtown, Williamtown , 2318
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.799578
Long: 151.846515
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Actual Event STart Date:16-November-1941
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945


Front Inscription

No. 450 Sqn

Desert Harassers

Back Inscription

Dedicated to 450 Squadron R.A.A.F (Desert Harassers)

Formed at Williamtown & embarked 9th April 1941 for the Middle East.

Served in the Syrian  Egyptian  Libyan  Tunisian  Sicilian  &  Italian Campaigns  1941 - 1945

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design