H.M.S. / H.M.A.S. KanimblaPrint Page
Plaque commemorates those who served on the HMS/HMAS Kanimbla.
HMAS Kanimbla was a passenger ship converted for use as an armed merchant cruiser and landing ship infantry during World War II. Built during the mid-1930s as the passenger liner MV Kanimbla for McIlwraith McEachern Limited, the ship operated in Australian waters until 1939, when she was requesitioned for military service, converted into an armed merchant cruiser, and commissioned in the Royal Navy as HMS Kanimbla. In 1943, the ship was converted into a Landing Ship Infantry, and transferred to the Royal Australian Navy.
|Address:||Murphys Road, Wommin Bay Memorial Walk, Kingscliff, 2487|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.236111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2010|