www.monumentaustralia.org.au

86 Squadron RAAFPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 86 Squadron Royal Australian air Force (R.A.A.F.) during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 86 Squadron was a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) fighter squadron of World War Two. The squadron was formed in March 1943 and was deployed to Merauke in Dutch New Guinea in July that year. While No. 86 Squadron was stationed at Merauke until April 1944, it saw little combat. After being transferred back to Australia its aircraft and personnel were transferred to other units, and only a nucleus of the squadron remained. While it was re-equipped with new aircraft in June 1945, the war ended before the squadron was ready for combat and it was disbanded in December 1945.

Note: This plaque was dedicated on 1 May 2001 at a ceremony held at the Australian War Memorial. Note that the dedication ceremony for this plaque was rescheduled, and as such differs from the date as inscribed on the plaque.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280191
Long: 149.147884
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 1st May, 2001
Front Inscription

86 SQUADRON RAAF
To Commemorate Those Who Served In 
86 Squadron RAAF  
South-West Pacific Area 1943 - 1945

We Will Remember Them
Dedicated 14 April 2000

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design