455 SquadronPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 455 Squadron during World War Two.
|Address:||Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.280169|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
455 Squadron was one of the seventeen RAAF squadrons formed under the Empire Air Training Scheme.
Its ground crew assembled at Williamtown, NSW on 23 May 1941.
In September 1941, equipped with Hampden bombers, it became the first Australian squadron in Royal Air Force Bomber Command.
Transferred to Coastal Command in April 1942, it flew anti-shipping strikes in the English Channel and deployed a detachment to Russia.
Flying rocket-firing Beaufighters in late 1943 it operated with 489 Squadron Royal New Zealand Air Force as the ANZAC Wing.
With 489 Squadron, 144 Squadron RAF, and 404 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, 455 Squadron formed a British Commonwealth Strike Wing in October 1944 and operated over the North Sea.
After VE Day the Squadron was disbanded.