www.monumentaustralia.org.au

No.1 Fighter WingPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The Plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the No.1 Fighter Wing during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by the red poppy in the second image. 

No.1 Fighter Wing was reformed on 7 October 1942 as a fighter unit comprising two Australian and one British flying squadrons equipped with Supermarine Spitfire aircraft, and a mobile fighter sector headquarters. The wing provided air defence to Darwin and several other key Allied bases in northern Australia until the end of the war, and was again disbanded in October 1945.

Note: This plaque was dedicated on 1 April 2000 at a ceremony held at the Australian War Memorial. Note that the dedication ceremony for this plaque was rescheduled, and as such differs from the date as inscribed on the plaque.

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280752
Long: 149.148211
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st April, 2000
Front Inscription

No 1 FIGHTER WING
SPITFIRES

R.A.A.F. 452 - 457 Squadrons  
R.A.F. 54 - 548 - 549 Squadrons

To Commemorate Those Who Served In
No 1 Fighter Wing, Including
7 R.S.U. And All Other Service Units
South West Pacific Area 1943 1945 

Lest We Forget
Dedicated 15-8-1996

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design