www.monumentaustralia.org.au

79 Squadron RAAFPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

The plaque commemorates the personnel who served in the 79 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by a red poppy in the second image. 

No. 79 Squadron is a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) flight training unit that has been formed on four occasions since 1943. The squadron was established in May 1943 as a fighter unit equipped with Supermarine Spitfires, and subsequently saw combat in the South West Pacific theatre of World War Two. Between June 1943 and the end of the war in August 1945 it flew air defence patrols to protect Allied bases and ships, escorted Australian and United States aircraft, and attacked Japanese positions.

Note: This plaque was dedicated on 1 March 2003 at a ceremony held at the Australian War Memorial. Note that the dedication ceremony for this plaque was rescheduled, and as such differs from the date as inscribed on the plaque.

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Captain Reg Saunders Courtyard, Australian War Memorial, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.280369
Long: 149.147739
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st March, 2003
Front Inscription

79 SQUADRON
RAAF

No 79 Squadron formed at Laverton flying Spitfires.
Operated first from Goodenough Island, 
and then in the Trobriand, Admiralty and Halmahera Islands.
Dedicated to those who served and those who died

Lest We Forget
Dedicated 14 April 2000

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design