No.21 (City of Melbourne) SquadronPrint Page
Plaque commemorates personnel who served in No.21 (City of Melbourne) Squadron during World War Two.
|Address:||Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.279626|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
No. 21 (City of Melbourne) Squadron
Malaya 1941-1942 New Guinea 1944 Markham Valley 1944 Morotai 1945 Borneo 1945
No.21 Squadron, RAAF, was formed at Laverton, Victoria, in 1936 as a reserve unit. It was the only fighter squadron on the Malayan mainland when the Japanese attacked in December 1941.
The squadron operated Vultee Vengeance dive-bombers at Nadzab, New Guinea before converting to Consolidated B24 Liberator heavy bombers, which they operated for the remainder of the war.
Reformed as a fighter squadron in 1948, it became an auxiliary unit in the Air Force Reserve in 1960.
Dedicated to all who served