www.monumentaustralia.org.au

HMAS BundabergPrint Page Print this page

02-April-2011
02-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Russell Byers

The Plaque commemorates the personnel who served on H.M.A.S. Bundaberg during World War Two. The plaque location is indicated by the red poppy in the second image. 

HMAS Bundaberg (J231/M231), named for the city of Bundaberg, Queensland, was one of 60 Bathurst class corvettes constructed during World War Two, and one of 36 initially manned and commissioned solely by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN).

Bundaberg was laid down by Evans Deakin and Company at Brisbane on 7 June 1941, launched on 1 December 1941 by Mrs. W. S. Hurwood, wife of the Director of Evans Deakin, and commissioned on 12 September 1942.

The ship was awarded the battle honours “Pacific 1942–45” and “New Guinea 1943–44” for her service during World War Two. Bundaberg was paid off to reserve on 26 March 1946, and sold for scrap to the Kinoshita Company of Japan on 6 January 1961.

 

Location

Address:Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612
State:ACT
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.279626
Long: 149.147118
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW2
Actual Event STart Date:03-September-1939
Actual Event End Date:15-August-1945

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 2nd February, 2005
Front Inscription

                  IN MEMORY OF 
            H.M.A.S. BUNDABERG
Royal Australian Navy minesweeper / corvette

East Coast convoys  Milne Bay  
Langemak                 Solomon Islands  
Admiralty Islands    Ambon 
Madang                    North Borneo  
Sek Island                Kuching

commissioned 12 September 1942 - decommissioned 26 March 1946
steamed 113,193 miles

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design