10 Squadron - 461 SquadronPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the personnel who served in 10 Squadron and 461 Squadron during World War Two.
|Address:||Fairbairn & Limestone Avenues, Australian War Memorial Sculpture Garden, Campbell, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.279626|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
10 Squadron - 461 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force
Sunderland flying boat squadrons Royal Air Force Coastal Command
At the outbreak of the Second World War, a detachment of 10 Squadron was already in England, and on Boxing Day 1939, they were joined by the main body of the squadron. On ANZAC Day 1942, 461 Squadron was formed from 10 Squadron plus Australian reinforcements. Both squadrons served with great distinction in Coastal Command, hunting U-boats, taking part in air-sea rescue missions, and escorting convoys.
Three weeks after victory in Europe, 461 Squadron was disbanded, and the aircraft turned over to 10 Squadron. At war`s end, 10 Squadron was disbanded, but later reformed in Australia as part of the Maritime Search Group.
Dedicated by the RAAF Association Sunderland Branch