Royal Australian Air Force Base BreddanPrint Page
Memorial commemorates personnel who served at the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Breddan during World War Two.
Originally intended as a satellite field for Charters Towers, Breddan was primarily a maintenance base, with No 13 Aircraft Repair Depot, No 6 Central Receiving Depot, Nos 10 and 12 Repair and Salvage Unit and No 1 Torpedo Maintenance Unit all being located at the base at various stages between 1943 and 1947.
Note: Charters Towers RSL closed March 2013.
|Address:||Prior & Hewett Streets, RSL Club, Charters Towers, 4820|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.059466|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1942|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 10th May, 1992|
R.A.A.F. BASE BREDDAN
This Memorial Is Dedicated To The RAAF & WRAAF Personnel
Who Served On The
RAAF Base Breddan During World War Two.
Units stationed On Breddan From 1942 to 1945
10 R.S.U. 12 R.S.U.
1 T.M.U. 6 C.R.D.
To commemorate the 50th Anniversary Of The Commencement
Of Breddan A Reunion Was held 8. 5. 92 to 10.5.92
In Charters Towers
This Memorial Was Unveiled By
ALD. DOROTHY BIRGAN, Mayor
Charters Towers City Council
CLR.PETER BLACK Chairman
Dalrymple Shire Council
and was dedicated by
REV. KEN BINGHAM (ex 13 A.R.D.)
10th May 1992.