Dubbo Army CampPrint Page
A monument commemorates the service personnel who trained at the Dubbo Army Camp during World War Two
The camp covered an area of 700 acres and was occupied from early September, 1940 by an advance party of First Corps Amm. Sub-Park and the 2/1st Pioneer Battalion who arrived from Greta. The land was originally owned by the Baird family, of which the late Wally Baird of the 2/2nd Pioneer Battalion was a family member. In later years men of the 2/2nd Pioneers also trained here before joining the reformed 2/2nd Pioneer Battalion in Wagga after the original unit was captured in Java. The camp was closed in 1947 when all the buildings were auctioned off; some of the buildings are still standing on rural properties around the district.
|Address:||Obley Road, Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo, 2830|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.272528|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 21st November, 1999|
1 Aust Inf Trg
1941 - 1944
DUBBO ARMY CAMP
This Memorial Is Dedicated To The Men And
Women Who Trained In The Dubbo Army Camp
On This Site During World War II And Who
Went On To Serve Their Country.
This Plaque Was Unveiled By The Mayor Of Dubbo
The Honourable G.B.P. Peacock
This cairn was restored on this location by Dubbo Macquarie
Lions Club and given to the care and keeping of the Dubbo R.S.L.
on 21st November 1999