Nesbitt Park Memorial TreesPrint Page
On the 14th September 1940, 52 ornamental trees were planted around the boundary of Nesbitt Park , South Lismore, in honour of the men of the suburb who had enlisted in the navy, army and airforce. The welfare committee and the trustees of the park proposed to dedicate a tree in the park to every man that enlisted. It was the first effort of this nature on the North Coast.
According to an article which appeared in the Cairns Post on the 17th September 1940, the ceremony was watched over by about 300 people including many relatives of the men who enlisted.
The Mayor (Alderman W.F. Oakes) officially opened the park which was named after a former member of the Legislative Council, Mr George Nesbitt. The residents of the suburb contributed 300 pounds to the development of the park which was a former dairy farm paddock.
Last meeting of South Lismore Patriotic and Soldiers' Welfare Committee, held on Wednesday, Mr. G. Krauss presiding, was attended by members of the Nesbitt Park Committee, and arrangements were completed for Arbor day on Saturday afternoon, September 14. The names of 50 men who had enlisted from South Lismore were submitted, and a ballot was taken to allot positions of trees to be planted in the name of each soldier, as a living memorial. Arrangements were also made for a procession to be headed by the Lismore Boys' Band, followed by school children and decorated bicycles, Billy carts and comical turn out. Messrs. G. Kaden, W. Cannane, and A. Barnes donated prizes for each section. Afternoon tea, ice cream, and home made sweets will be sold at the park on behalf of the South Lismore Patriotic and Soldiers' Welfare Commitee. The park will also be officially opened and flags unfurled.
Northern Star (Lismore, NSW), 7 September 1940.
|Address:||Casino & Wilson Streets, Nesbitt Park, South Lismore, 2480|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.805556|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th September, 1940|