Ravenshoe Memorial Park Print Page
Ravenshoe Memorial Park commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action during World War Two.
At a public meeting on the 8th August 1946, Councillor Holdcroft explained that the council had been approached by the Ravenshoe sub-branch of the R.S.L. regarding the possibility of an area of land, between the R.S.L. Club and John-street, being acquired for a memorial park. The council had decided to endeavour to obtain the portion in question. Negotiations between the council and the owners of the land had resulted in three blocks being, subject to survey, purchased by the council, with the intention of having them reserved as a memorial park.
Mr. W. Johnstone, a prominent citizen, and an old Digger of the 1914-18 war, expressed the views of the Ravenshoe sub-branch, on the matter. He suggested now that the preliminary steps had been taken that it was in the interests of the growing town of Ravenshoe, that the project be taken up by the public, and that an active committee be formed, to further this memorial park scheme, as a lasting tribute to those who would not return from the 1939-45 war, a place of recreation for those who had returned, and a source of inspiration to the children who would make use of the facilities provided for them.
Cairns Post, 15th August 1946
|Address:||Monument & John Streets, Ravenshoe, 4888|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.605026|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
RAVENSHOE MEMORIAL PARK