Margaret Marr Memorial Home for Boys- Radar Station No 23 1942-1945Print Page
Plaque erected by the Wynnum Manly Historical Society and the Australia Remembers Committee marks the site of the Margaret Marr Memorial Home For Boys which was used as a radar station during World War Two.
The original Margaret Marr Home was built in 1924 on 17 acres and managed by the Methodist Church. John Marr was the proprietor of Marr`s Boarding House in Brisbane, and the Home was dedicated by him in memory of his wife as was the area Mt Margaret on which Nazareth House was built. Many homeless boys were taken in and cared for at the Margaret Marr Home. Extra wings were added from time to time. During World War Two, the Royal Australian Air Force used the home as staff headquarters when operating Radar Station No 23 at the top of Lytton Hill. The young boys who were resident there at the time were billeted out west during the occupancy. The home closed in 1974.
|Address:||Tingal Road & Petersen Street, Wynnum, 4178|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.429966|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 14th May, 1995|