War Memorial OrganPrint Page
An organ commemorates those who died in service or were killed in action in World War Two.
The organ now in St Aidan's Chapel of The Toowoomba Preparatory School (formerly known as the Church of England Boys' School), was installed as a war memorial and first located in the old school chapel in the former residence 'Stoneleigh', which has since been demolished. It was re-located to the school's assembly hall in 1987, and then to the new St Alban's Chapel when it was opened in 1998.
The War Memorial Organ was dedicated by the Archbishop of Brisbane, The Most Reverend R.C. Halse on the 27th November 1949.
The Central Queensland Herald (Rockhampton), 1st December 1949
|Address:||2 Campbell Street, St Albans Chapel, Toowoomba Preparatory School , East Toowoomba, 4350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.558685|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-September-1939|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-August-1945|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 27th November, 1949|
This organ was donated by the Old Boys, parent and friends in memory of old boys who lost their lives during the World War of 1939 - 1945, and as a thank offering to God for those who offered all, but from whom the supreme sacrifice was not demanded
This War Memorial Organ was relocated to the then Hall/Chapel of St. Aidan, at `Bogunda` over 1986 / 87 after refurbishment by Walter Emerson (Choirmaster & Organist) in 1985 as a project of the Toowoomba Preparatory School
It had been blessed and dedicated in the original Chapel of St. Aidan, at `Stoneleigh`by the Rev. Canon R. W. Shand, School Chaplain and Rector of St. Luke`s, Toowoomba on 30 October, 1949
N. S. Cunnal, Headmaster (1929 - 1938)
R. G. Brewster, Headmaster (1979 - 1992)
This War Memorial Organ was relocated to the new Chapel of St. Aidan and refurbished by W. J. S. Pierce (Organ builder) in 1998 as the project of the Toowoomba Prep. Past Students`Association with assistance from the Toowoomba Preparatory School Parents & Friends`Associaiton
And was blessed and dedicated in the new Chapel of St. Aidan, at Main School by the Right Rev. R. B. Smith, Bishop of the Western Region on 24 October, 1998